Recently we’ve had quite a few customers email us asking about the ingredient ‘fiber syrup’, which we offer as an option for two of our custom protein bar bases. Since all we have is a small description on our FAQ page about it, we’ve decided to make a short post that explains exactly what it is, what it’s made from, and why it’s an ingredient option for the next box of bars you make.
What is Fiber Syrup Made From?
We use a product called VitaFiber, derived from the tapioca (the starch that is extracted from cassava root). Cassava is a sustainable, hardy, and highly drought resistant crop that is grown throughout the world. Unlike chicory root syrup that can cause digestive upset, VitaFiber is very easy on the digestive tract and won’t cause gastric upset even when consumed in high amounts.
What are the Benefits?
Fiber syrup provides a few benefits over other sweetener options.
- It acts as a prebiotic – FS contains oligosaccharides which are used as food by the beneficial bacteria in our gut.
- It contains high amounts of fiber – Unlike honey or coconut nectar, FS contains plenty of fiber. Fiber will help you feel full for a longer period of time and may be beneficial to the digestive health.
- It’s low in calories – Only 2.4 kcal/g.
- It’s a very stable ingredient that won’t go rancid – FS has an extremely long shelf life – upwards of 16 months.
- It’s considered a ‘low intensity’ sweetener – if you don’t like your bars overly sweet, FS is a great option since it’s only about half as sweet as table sugar.
- It has a neutral flavor profile – Since it’s not nearly as overpowering as honey or coconut nectar, it’s a great choice if you’re looking to bring out other flavors in your bars.
Why is Fiber Syrup Listed as an Ingredient Option?
Like honey and coconut nectar, fiber syrup is a ‘binder’ that helps keep all of the ingredients in your bars together. Since your custom bars are never cooked, a binding ingredient is required in order to ensure proper consistency.
We added fiber syrup as an option because it has much lower sugar levels and significantly higher fiber than the other options.
Putting it All Together
Fiber syrup is a great choice for anyone looking to keep sugar levels low and increase fiber. The high fiber content will help keep you feeling full longer and acts as a prebiotic for beneficial gut bacteria. It has a very neutral taste profile that won’t compete with the flavor of other ingredients in your bars.
Have more questions about specific ingredients? Need help building your own box of custom bars? We’re here to help, so please let us know!