Dried coconut is one of our most popular protein bar ingredients at The Bar Shack. It adds both substantial texture and flavor to your bar and combines well with many other ingredients (especially chocolate, cacao, and most nuts and seeds.
As an added bonus, it’s calorie dense, high in fiber, and contains unique properties not found in any other food.
What is it?
Coconut is a seed/fruit that grows on the tropical palm tree. Most dried coconut is harvested in the Philipines or Sri Lanka.
What’s the Texture?
Very fibrous, sometimes slightly crunchy. You’ll definitely notice it’s there if you add it as an ingredient in your protein bar recipe.
Why is it Good for Me?
Dried coconut has the following health benefits:
- Contains 60% fiber to aid in elimination and keep you feeling full
- Contains antifungal/antiviral/anti-bacterial properties to help boost the immune system.
- High in electrolytes to help muscle function
- High in manganese, potassium, and phosphorus.
- Contain medium chain fatty acids that the body can easily convert to energy
Fun Fact: A coconut is also known as a ‘Drupe’ and is unique in that it is not only a fruit, but also a nut, and a seed!
All of the protein bar recipes listed below contain dried coconut as an ingredient: