Step 1. Find Your Recipe
First thing’s first. Finding the perfect protein bar recipe! We have two options for you:
Option A: Search Recipes
We have lots of great recipes here at The Bar Shack! Browse through our online library and find one you like. All recipes are 100% FREE!
Once you’ve found one, just click the “Download” button. You can download or print the recipe, or just leave it open on your phone / tablet as you’re making them.
Option B: Create New Recipe
If you’d rather create your own recipe, you can do that too! This is a great option if you have specific ingredients at home that you’d like to use. It’s really easy.
Just go to our recipe generator tool here, select the ingredients you want to include in your protein bar recipe, then click the “submit” button and your custom recipe, along with nutrition facts, will be sent directly to your email!
Step 2. What You’ll Need
Now that you’ve decided on a great protein bar recipe, you’ll have to gather some basic kitchenware and tools. Here’s what you’ll need:
Recommended kitchen items:
- Kitchen Mixer (Not required but definitely recommended!)
- Kitchen Scale (Available on Amazon for $10)
- Shack Tools**
- Bowl scraper (If you have one. If not, no worries!)
- Parchment / wax paper
- Plastic sandwich gloves or nitrile (If you don’t have gloves just make sure your hands are clean. There’s no baking step to kill germs!)
**We designed Shack Tools just for you! They make it really easy to form the perfect protein bars and we’ll be using them in our guide. You can buy Shack Tools through our website for only $10.
Step 3. Ingredients
This step is pretty straight forward. Gather all of the ingredients from your recipe and make sure you have everything before you start making your protein bars.
The last thing you want to do is get half way through the process and realize you’re missing one of your main ingredients!
Step 4. Mixing Ingredients
By this point you should have your protein bar recipe, your kitchen tools and all of your required ingredients.
This is where everything comes together!
Using your kitchen scale and bowl, measure and add each individual ingredient into your mixing bowl, one by one.
We suggest adding your ingredients in the following order:
- Protein powder
- Remaining dry ingredients
- Wet ingredients
- Double check your recipe to make sure you didn’t miss any ingredients!
- On your kitchen mixer’s lowest speed setting, start mixing.
- After two minutes turn off your mixer and inspect the mixture.
- If a clump of ingredients got stuck to the side of the bowl, or on your mixing paddle, just knock them back into the bowl and continue mixing for another 20-30 seconds.
Use your judgement.
The idea here is to ensure all of your ingredients are evenly distributed and the consistency of your mixture is the same throughout.
If everything is well incorporated and the consistency seems right, you’re done mixing!
The whole process should only take a few minutes.
Step 5. Forming Your Bars
Now that all of your ingredients are good and mixed up, it’s time to form some delicious protein bars!
- Lay a piece of parchment or wax paper on your kitchen counter, then set your Shack Tools on top of the paper.
- The ring should be positioned ‘sideways’ so the longer edges are running left to right (opposite of the picture below – oops!).
- Using a scale and a small bowl / container, measure out 55g’s of your finished protein bar mixture then empty the contents into your ring.
- Use your fingers to distribute the mixture evenly throughout.
- Insert your plunger tool into the ring and use the palm of your hand to press down firmly on the center of the plunger, compressing the mixture evenly.
- Once you think your mixture is fully compressed, simply slide the ring up over the top of the plunger. (Do not pull the plunger out of the ring.)
- Your finished protein bar will be stuck to the bottom of the plunger piece.
- Carefully remove the protein bar and set aside. It should come right off.
- Repeat this process to form the rest of your protein bars!
Step 5. Storage Suggestions
- No refrigeration: 1+ months
- Refrigeration: 3-6 months
- Freezer: 6+ months
Just like any other food, the better protected your protein bars are from oxygen, the longer they’ll stay fresh. Refrigeration will also help keep them fresh for longer periods of time.
You can even freeze your protein bars if you make an especially large batch! They’ll stay fresh for 6+ months like this.
For storing individual protein bars that you can eat “on-the-go”, we recommend wrapping them tightly in small squares of cellophane and storing in the fridge.
If you just plan to eat them around the house or at work, we recommend storing them in an airtight Tupperware container, in the fridge.